Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Zucchini Madness

If you, like we, are inundated with zucchini right now, here are a few of the recipes that I've used to mix it up a bit. Still haven't baked with it yet this year, but I do usually make a zucchini nut bread or muffins at some point during the season.

First up, Michael Symon's Zucchini Crudo from his Live to Cook cookbook:


Nice resemblance, no? Mine is the one on the left, in the bowl. Easy and delicious. Fresh, thinly sliced zucchini and yellow squash with toasted almonds and dill in a lovely vinaigrette.

Next up, the Flat Zucchini Omelet from epicurious.com. The only change I made that I can recall is that I doubled the recipe, used a 14" non-stick skillet to cook it, and finished it under the broiler as suggested by one of the reviewers rather than flipping it. Easy peasy. I served it with a multi-grain English muffin and a PB&J smoothie. We were ready to garden.




To accompany our grilled pork chops, I made Michael Symon's Zucchini Fritters with Feta and Dill. I subbed lemon balm for the mint since we have that growing all over the yard and it's in the mint family. They were also easy and flavorful. I love me some feta.





I don't have a photo, and it's only slightly off-topic, but I'm loving cucumber sandwiches for lunch or a snack lately. Good white bread seems to work better than multi-grain, a schmear of mayo, thinly-sliced cukes, s&p, and a smattering of minced basil. Oh, my.

As G-Love is fond of saying, "can't get any more fresh, local, and organic than this!" Yay summertime!


Zucchini

5 comments:

  1. If you want to share the zucchini, we're not growing any this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love omelettes! My personal favorite will have to be the eggplant omelette, but I'd sure love to try this one. Thanks for sharing! I wanna share this to my friends too in Foodista. Just if you won't mind adding the foodista widget for zucchini, then that should do it! THe widget will direct readers to your site when they go looking for zucchini recipes. Thanks and please keep on posting! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would very much like to eat all of those things, too!

    ReplyDelete